Fox Cities Reads is hosting a writing contest featuring the book Wonder by visiting author R. J. Palacio.
Fox Cities’ students in grades 5 through 8 are invited to submit a creative writing piece to help celebrate the Fox Cities Reads book choice of 2014: Wonder by R.J. Palacio. In the book we read first-hand accounts from Auggie, the main character, as well as Via, Summer, Jack, Justin, and Miranda. We did not hear from the bully named Julian – this is your chance! Pick an event or chapter in the book Wonder and tell Julian’s story from his perspective.
All 5th through 8th grade Fox Cities’ students, except those who are children of employees of Fox Cities Reads partner libraries (Appleton, Kaukauna, Kimberly, Little Chute, Menasha, Neenah, UW-Fox Valley) or judges, are eligible.
We will begin accepting electronic submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org on February 12, 2014. All entries must be submitted by March 12, 2014.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
There is no entry fee required for submissions. By submitting your work, you agree to the Terms and Conditions of the event as stated here. All work submitted must be original material written by the student and is the sole responsibility of the student. This work becomes property of Fox Cities Reads and may be posted on the Fox Cities Reads website.
- Please limit maximum submission length of 300 words.
- State your name, community, and grade in the upper right corner of each page of your submission.
- Number all pages of your submission.
- All entries must be typed, double-spaced, in a readable font sized 12-14.
- Entries must be submitted via email to email@example.com.
- No more than one entry per student will be accepted. If more than one entry per student is submitted, all entries from that student will be ineligible.
Judging shall be conducted by trained volunteers through use of a points-based scoring rubric. Said scoring rubric is available here. Judging documents, rubrics, notes, comments, and the like, shall not be shared with students, parents, teachers, or any other entity. Submissions will not be returned to students.
One winner from each grade level will be selected. One of the four grade level winners will be selected as the overall first place contest winner.
- Each student that submits an entry shall receive a certificate of participation.
- The final 4 grade level winners shall receive a winning certificate and publication of their submissions on the Fox Cities Reads website.
- The final 4 grade level winners will also be invited to attend a luncheon with the author with one parent/guardian on April 9, 2014 at 11:30AM.
- The final 4 grade level winners shall receive a signed copy of the book.
- The first place winner will read his/her winning entry at the author’s public presentation at Appleton West High School on April 9, 2014 at 6:30PM.
Each student’s individual privacy will be maintained at all times and shall not be shared with anyone outside Fox Cities Reads, co-sponsors, and judges. A student’s name, city, and grade may be published in electronic and print media if said student’s entry receives a first or runner up status.
Students with winning entries will be required to provide a parental consent form upon request.
All questions related to the writing contest can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for participating!